AssemblyBoard
June 26, 2024, 11:41:16 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 218462 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2003, 06:51:43 am »

"I am the captain of my ship. I know, because my wife,
The Admiral, told me so"
4Him

Email
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2003, 07:27:02 am »

Never give a woman something that needs to be plugged in.  Grin Grin Grin
Jill (Tim Allen's "wife") on TV's Home Improvement.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Actually, this belongs on on Pat's "Women and the Lord Jesus" thread but I promised I would try to put a serious post there (for a change).  Wink
« Last Edit: March 07, 2003, 09:35:34 am by Tim Souther » Logged
Laura Dienzo

Email
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2003, 08:11:44 am »

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."  John Wooden
psalm51

Email
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2003, 08:14:17 am »

"From the silence which prevails I conclude Lauderdale (or Souther!) has been making a joke".   R.B. Sheridan

Smiley Cheesy Wink Grin

"Educate a man and you educate an individual--educate a woman and you educate a family.  Agnes Cripps
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2003, 11:50:21 am »

Testing... testing, one two three...

Can you hear me out there?  Testing... testing...

Hey, is this thing on?  testing...

--al Hartman (1942-      )
               Christian in training

Jim Crawford

Email
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2003, 07:41:15 pm »

Don't spit in a man's face unless his moustache is on fire.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2003, 09:03:41 pm »

I'm so proud that I am humble enough to admit my pride.
psalm51

Email
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2003, 08:17:02 am »

"Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."  Winston Churchill

I guess George's tigers were hungry too. Shocked
4Him

Email
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2003, 08:44:17 am »

"If God's people can't behave like "Christians" in a (church) business meeting then they're just a bunch of fakes anyway."

Pastor of church in Springfield, IL
(while announcing the upcoming annual church business meeting)*

*BTW - He was emphasizing that guests could learn a lot about the church by attending the business meeting.
David Mauldin
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2003, 11:54:10 pm »

"They are over here because we are over there!"
   Pat Buchanan
psalm51

Email
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2003, 06:37:36 am »

This is dedicated to all those who are still struggling with leaving an assembly gathering.

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."    Helen Keller
psalm51

Email
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2003, 06:54:37 am »

"Passive resistance is an all-sided sword; it can be used anyhow; it blesses him who uses it and him against whom it is used without drawing a drop of blood; it produces far-reaching results. It never rusts and cannot be stolen. Competition between passive resisters does not exhaust them. The sword of passive resistance does not require a scabbard and one cannot be forcibly dispossessed of it."    Mahatma Gandhi
editor
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2003, 07:08:46 am »

With regard to Ghandi:

"India is the most conquered nation on earth.  Every major empire has rolled through India in short order, and the nation has never failed to fall quickly to an invading enemy."

anon from a history book.

I am not trying to point out the fallacy of Ghandi's quote below, as it does have merit.  I am merely trying to point out some of the consequences for following it.

Brent Tr0ckman
psalm51

Email
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2003, 10:29:04 am »

Gandhi's nonviolent stance was one of the forces behind Martin Luther Kings, Jr.'s nonviolent protests during the Civil Rights Movement. It has great merit, indeed.
retread

Email
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2003, 08:52:02 pm »

Gandhi's nonviolent stance was one of the forces behind Martin Luther Kings, Jr.'s nonviolent protests during the Civil Rights Movement. It has great merit, indeed.
There were also other forces at play during that time.

"Laws serve to deter crime and protect the weak from the strong in civilized society. Where there is a breakdown of law, where is the force of deterrent? Only highly civilized and moral individuals respect the rights of others. The southern brute respects only force. Nonviolence is a very potent weapon when the opponent is civilized, but nonviolence is no repellent for a sadist.

I have great respect for the pacifist, that is for the pure pacifist. I am not a pacifist and I am sure I may safely say most of my people are not. Passive resistance is a powerful weapon in gaining concessions from oppressors, but I venture to say that if Mack Parker (a black man lynched in 1959) had had an automatic shotgun at his disposal, he could have served as a great deterrent against lynching." - Robert F. Williams, Liberation Magazine (September 1959)

Robert F. Williams was a very influential black activist during the time of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. nonviolent protests as well as a NAACP leader.  However, Robert Williams made use of of machine guns and explosives to defend his rights.  He eventually ended up fleeing to Cuba. I believe that he died of natural causes a few years ago.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2003, 02:49:11 am by retread » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: