AssemblyBoard
July 01, 2024, 09:46:49 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 218792 times)
Tom Robinson

Email
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2003, 06:33:39 pm »

"Let Jesus use you without consulting you."
                              Mother Teresa
enchilada
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2003, 04:16:18 am »

If you don't like the taco, try the enchilada.  
--Taco Bell
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2003, 08:58:27 am »

"It's not denial.  I'm just very selective about what I accept as reality."
                                   -- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes")

Of all things, good sense is the most fairly distributed: everyone thinks he is so well supplied with it that even those who are the hardest to satisfy in every other respect never desire more of it than they already have.
                                   -- Descartes, René (1596-1650)
M2
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2003, 09:48:43 am »

1.Can you cry under water?
2.How important does a person have to be before he is considered assassinated, instead of just murdered?
3 If money doesn't grow on tree$, then why do bank$ have branches$?
4.Since bread is square, then why is sandwich meat round?
5.Why do you have to "put your two cents in"...but it's only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going to?
6 Once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in, for eternity?
7.Why does a round pizza come in a square box?
8.What did cured ham actually have?
9.How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?
10.Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up like every two hours?
11.If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?
12.If you drink Pepsi at work in the Coke factory, will they fire you?
13.Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?
14.Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?
15.How come we choose from just two people for President and fifty for Miss America?
16.Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.
17.If a 911 operator has a heart attack, whom does he/she call?
Oscar

Email
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2003, 11:57:28 am »

Marcia,

This is Caryl Maddux posting for her husband Tom.

Tom was reading your list and digging through books trying to find the answers.  When he got to number 9 he began alternatively laughing and crying and singing "SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXBIALIDOCIOUS" backwards.

I had to call the county to come and take him away.

Caryl Maddux  Wink
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2003, 12:09:30 pm »

So let me get this straight.
Brent Tr0ckman: pseudo-intellectual.  Undecided
Verne Carty: probable intellectual.  Wink
Thomas Maddux: Verifiable intellectual. Smiley

Caryl Maddux: GENIUS (she does know how to spell supercalifragilis . . . . whatever).

Conclusion: We need more input from Mrs. Maddux. Grin Grin Grin
d3z

Email
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2003, 08:46:47 pm »

Caryl Maddux: GENIUS (she does know how to spell supercalifragilis . . . . whatever).
But, it isn't spelled correctly.
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2003, 11:50:19 pm »

But, it isn't spelled correctly.

You're right. I didn't catch it.

OK, Dave that means you take the Genius title from Mrs. M! Smiley

S
Mark Kisla
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2003, 12:36:05 am »

"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there"
Woody Allen
Mark Kisla
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2003, 05:14:22 am »

" My Wife confessed  that she would never  consider commiting adultery against me, murder maybe, but never adultery"
                                   Billy Graham
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2003, 08:06:03 am »

I do not think that all who choose wrong roads perish; but their rescue consists in being put back on the right road.  A wrong sum can be put right: but only by going back till you find the error and working it afresh from that point, never by simply going on.

C. S. Lewis, in his preface to The Great Divorce

H

Email
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2003, 03:01:27 am »

"What is the extent of Christ’s death? The nature of a ransom is such that when paid and accepted it automatically frees the person for whom it was intended. Justice demands that those for whom the ransom is paid shall be freed from any further obligation; it cannot demand the penalty twice.

Some teach that Christ died conditionally for all but absolutely for none. This is a God-dishonoring view of redemption; it makes Christ the purchaser of a redemption that is left to the power of man to render it effectual. By the obedience of Christ, the gift of grace abounds to many; and by this One, Jesus Christ, righteousness reigns (Rom. 5:15-19). Man, therefore, has no part in this righteousness which reigns in life by One, Jesus Christ; it is not by two, Christ and man. Christ’s suretyship and sufferings are of the same extent; His sacrifice and intercession are related to the same persons.

The Father’s election, the Son’s redemption, and the Spirit’s regeneration are all of equal extent. Universal redemption would mean universal salvation. The fact is the Son redeems no more than the Father elects, and the Spirit regenerates no more than the Son redeems. “...the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many” (Matt. 20:28).

Many religionists are horrified by the term “limited redemption.” However, everyone limits redemption. It is limited either in its extent or in its quality. Those who say Christ died for every one without exception limit its quality (character), since the Bible states that many have and will die in their sins. The extent is limited by those who have a Biblical view of redemption. They dare not limit its character, but do admit that many die without experiencing salvation. Since every one limits redemption, the instructed Christian limits its extent and would never limit its character."

from Chapter 20 of "The Impeccable Christ" by W.E Best
http://www.webbmt.org/EngHTML2/Studies%20In%20The%20Person%20And%20Work%20of%20Jesus%20Christ.htm
vernecarty
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2003, 05:52:09 am »

"What is the extent of Christ’s death? The nature of a ransom is such that when paid and accepted it automatically frees the person for whom it was intended. Justice demands that those for whom the ransom is paid shall be freed from any further obligation; it cannot demand the penalty twice.

Some teach that Christ died conditionally for all but absolutely for none. This is a God-dishonoring view of redemption; it makes Christ the purchaser of a redemption that is left to the power of man to render it effectual. By the obedience of Christ, the gift of grace abounds to many; and by this One, Jesus Christ, righteousness reigns (Rom. 5:15-19). Man, therefore, has no part in this righteousness which reigns in life by One, Jesus Christ; it is not by two, Christ and man. Christ’s suretyship and sufferings are of the same extent; His sacrifice and intercession are related to the same persons.

The Father’s election, the Son’s redemption, and the Spirit’s regeneration are all of equal extent. Universal redemption would mean universal salvation. The fact is the Son redeems no more than the Father elects, and the Spirit regenerates no more than the Son redeems. “...the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many” (Matt. 20:28).

Many religionists are horrified by the term “limited redemption.” However, everyone limits redemption. It is limited either in its extent or in its quality. Those who say Christ died for every one without exception limit its quality (character), since the Bible states that many have and will die in their sins. The extent is limited by those who have a Biblical view of redemption. They dare not limit its character, but do admit that many die without experiencing salvation. Since every one limits redemption, the instructed Christian limits its extent and would never limit its character."

http://www.webbmt.org/EngHTML2/Studies%20In%20The%20Person%20And%20Work%20of%20Jesus%20Christ.htm
Thanks so much for sharing this H, my old friend. This work is in my view  peerless among those produced on Christology. What a glorious Saviour He is!!!!
Verne
p.s I must say that this subject matter is strong wine for those of full age as it were...don't be too discouraged by some that might find it difficult to imbibe... Smiley
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 05:58:12 am by vernecarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2003, 10:05:02 am »

Dear H,

Your quotation from brother Best says,

"Some teach that Christ died conditionally for all but absolutely for none. This is a God-dishonoring view of redemption; it makes Christ the purchaser of a redemption that is left to the power of man to render it effectual. "

This is a common argument used by some folks of Calvinist persuasion to argue against such verses as I John 2:2.

It is actually an informal logical fallacy called argumentum ad misericordium.  This simply means that Best is using language calculated to arouse negative feelings in the hearers.  It offers no information about what God can or cannot do.

Seems to me that God can set up the terms of his dealings with men in whatever way he wishes.  After all, the Calvinists have a lot to say about God's "soveriegn majesty"...or maybe that His "majestic sovereignty".  

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Virulant Dog 1st Class
Oscar

Email
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2003, 10:14:37 am »

Say H,

By the way, the first time I ever heard of this teaching was in the 70's.  One Sunday morning G Geftakys was preaching on the death of Christ.

He yelled, "Not one drop of that precious blood fell to the ground in vain!"

Although I did not know that name of the fallacy at the time, I remember that I thought, "that is more about his feelings than about Christ's blood".

Thomas Maddux
Virulant Dog 1st Class
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: