AssemblyBoard
September 29, 2024, 07:16:19 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Existing Assemblies  (Read 207379 times)
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2003, 05:49:07 am »

To all:

I had spoken with a Nebraskan vacationing here in So Cal, and according to this person, Norfolk was no longer meeting as an assembly.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Matt Sciaini  
psalm51

Email
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2003, 07:07:08 am »

To all:

I had spoken with a Nebraskan vacationing here in So Cal, and according to this person, Norfolk was no longer meeting as an assembly.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Matt Sciaini  
You are correct.
JohnSteinke
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2003, 07:18:32 am »

The only assembly we suspect that is still meeting here in Nebraska is Hastings.  We have not heard otherwise.  We heard that 2-3 couples in Omaha are still gathering together but that the meeting place in Omaha is for sale.

Regarding the history of Norfolk, at one time the assembly was probably as many 40 individuals.  I can recall three different times when GG or his henchmen laid their hands on the assemby in Norfolk with the result of dwindling numbers afterwards.  This was over the time period of 1971 to 1983.  Norfolk never did very well after that time period.  The Norfolk assembly was started after GG came into town and preached about the gifts of the Spirit to a small church just starting up.  (This was GG's second visit to preach at this small church.)  The result was a split in the small church as they were still trying to wrestle with the issue.  It was during that visit in April of 1971 that my parents were saved and the assembly in Norfolk started.  The following week the assembly started meeting in my parents' home as the Steinke family (7 kids at the time) was a little too much for the Gentzler trailer home.  If anyone remembers the Gentzlers, Hap and Helen were part of the splinter group that became the Norfolk assembly.  They both remained in fellowship there until they both passed away sometime around 1992.

John
Tony

Email
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2003, 08:28:15 am »

"One brother told me today that he could not have fellowship with me, because I had called the assembly a cult. It may be that the whole assembly has come
to this same conclusion, but I cannot be certain of that because my husband and kids are still talking to me.

Where is the biblical basis for this conclusion? "

Somewhere, lost in a dark misunderstanding of Truth!   Not applicable in this situation!

The Spirit of Truth is quite the optician!

Be Blessed  
brian

Email
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2003, 11:11:31 pm »

One brother told me today that he could not have fellowship with me, because I had called the assembly a cult. It may be that the whole assembly has come to this same conclusion, but I cannot be certain of that because my husband and kids are still talking to me.  Smiley

now there is a quick way to clean up your social circles. just say the magic words! its nice when they make it this easy.  Smiley

being a sharp lady, i'm sure you are clear on the fact that you have not 'left fellowship' or 'cut off fellowship' with any of them, collectively or individually. this guy decided to 'cut off fellowship' with you completely on his own.  i got that a lot when i left - statements along the lines of "you are cutting off fellowship between us by the things you are saying and doing". not so, my cultish little friend, and i don't appreciate the mind games. i am saying and doing things, and including you in my life. you are cutting me out of your life. lets just be clear on who is responsible for what here.

anyone who does that to you is making the conscious decision to 'leave fellowship' - fellowship with you! poor people, exiling themselves to that much more darkness...
mkoley

Email
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2003, 01:21:25 am »

Thanks for all of your updated information on Norfolk.  I appreciate it.  Oh, BTW, for all of you novices outside the Midwest, it's pronounced (Nor-fork), not (Nor-folk).  

John:  I have heard some negative and degratory comments about you in the past.  How you had "fallin away" and you're know "worldly".  I would like to hear your perspective in the Norfolk Assembly in general.  If you'd like, you can e-mail me at the address listed below.

mkoley@johnsonandassoc.com

Thanks again for all of your contributions,
Mark
mithrandir
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2003, 07:45:37 am »

Here is a tally of Geftakys groups that have stopped meeting:

Madison, WI
Providence, RI
Norfolk, NE
Omaha, NE (for all intents and purposes)
Champaign, IL
San Diego, CA
Huntington Beach, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA

From what I've heard, Riverside is down to one family.
Can anyone verify what is now happening in Placentia, West LA or Long Beach?  Also, can anyone provide answers to the questions in my post of a few days ago?

mithrandir
psalm51

Email
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2003, 07:59:51 am »

Madison, WI
Providence, RI
Norfolk, NE
Champaign, IL
San Diego, CA
Huntington Beach, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA

Can anyone verify what is now happening in Placentia, West LA or Long Beach?  Also, can anyone provide answers to the questions in my post of a few days ago?

mithrandir
FYI. Champaign is also pretty much down to one family, one couple who travels here from another small town, and one single woman.  At first, it looked like the the shop was closing, but it didn't. Too bad. Sad
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2003, 08:14:11 pm »

The Assembly here in Canoga Park, Ca. is down to one man, two dogs and a canary. I will be preaching on the importnce of fiber in the canine diet this Sunday. Head coverings are optional.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 08:15:39 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2003, 08:33:39 pm »

Mithrandir- I think I answered your question a few days ago about the assembly in Annandale, VA, but just in case you missed it I'll repeat.  It consists of four leading brothers, all former workers, and their families, and two other families, & one of those is only here on a temporary duty military assignment.  Everyone else voted with their feet as to the health of this particular gathering, and left.  Approx. 17 of us, including kids.

Joe, our dog says he draws the line at the bandana we put around his neck on holidays, but he wishes you all the best.  His name is Gimli.

Becky
mithrandir
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2003, 11:46:36 pm »

Mithrandir- I think I answered your question a few days ago about the assembly in Annandale, VA, but just in case you missed it I'll repeat.  It consists of four leading brothers, all former workers, and their families, and two other families, & one of those is only here on a temporary duty military assignment.  Everyone else voted with their feet as to the health of this particular gathering, and left.  Approx. 17 of us, including kids.

Joe, our dog says he draws the line at the bandana we put around his neck on holidays, but he wishes you all the best.  His name is Gimli.

Becky

Thanks, Becky.  I also see that you've "read the books," and not merely "seen the movies."  If you get a cat, you might name him Legolas! Grin

But seriously, folks... I have one last question before I make use of your responses.  Does anyone know of any groups which are still trying aggressively to recruit new members (recruiting includes such things as campus ministry)?

mithrandir
M2
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2003, 12:26:54 am »

But seriously, folks... I have one last question before I make use of your responses.  Does anyone know of any groups which are still trying aggressively to recruit new members (recruiting includes such things as campus ministry)?

mithrandir

If they consider themselves as churches raised up from the Lord, then why wouldn't they be?

MM
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 12:42:24 am by MM » Logged
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2003, 06:49:15 am »

Madison, WI
Providence, RI
Norfolk, NE
Champaign, IL
San Diego, CA
Huntington Beach, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA

mithrandir
FYI. Champaign is also pretty much down to one family, one couple who travels here from another small town, and one single woman.  At first, it looked like the the shop was closing, but it didn't. Too bad. Sad

Re: assemblies no longer meeting

Spokane, WA is also no longer meeting

And, as for Placentia....

There are still, to the best of my knowledge, half a dozen families and about as many singles meeting together.

As for West LA, according to the latest, it is pretty much, to quote a few "business as usual".  They are not receiving George, but neither has anyone stepped down from leadership, and only a couple of families and a few singles have left.

If anybody knows more, or if I am wrong on any point, please contribute.

matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2003, 07:20:51 am »

Pat and all:

Also, regarding Long Beach, it was never REALLY an "assembly" to begin with, just always an outreach from Huntington Beach.  After the "event" they were supposedly breaking bread together--whether it actually happened or is still happening, I don't know.  

Anybody else know more???

Matt Sciaini
M2
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2003, 07:50:09 am »

Pat and all:

Also, regarding Long Beach, it was never REALLY an "assembly" to begin with, just always an outreach from Huntington Beach.  After the "event" they were supposedly breaking bread together--whether it actually happened or is still happening, I don't know.  

Anybody else know more???

Matt Sciaini

Nothing happening there anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: