AssemblyBoard
June 21, 2024, 11:02:38 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beatles Had no real Talent!  (Read 13411 times)
David Mauldin
« on: May 10, 2003, 04:31:31 am »

Just  Kidding, I'm just trying to stir things up around here! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003, 04:31:59 am by David Mauldin » Logged
Will Jones

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 06:21:09 am »

"Hey Jud[as]!" How can you say that?!?   Wink Cheesy Grin
editor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 07:58:48 am »

Dave

I am willing to forgive and forbear a lot on this forum.  However, you have totally crossed the line.  Don't ever insult the Beatles in any way, in my presence.

I just bought the live CD from Paul's tour last year, and it is INCREDIBLE!  He can still sing all the songs in the same register, flawlessly.  Unbelievable!

If you say anything negative about the Beatles again, you are in big trouble.  And yes,  Ringo is a great drummer!  Don't even go there.  Shame on you!

Brent  (big time Beatles fan)
MGov

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 08:33:59 am »

Since you are an all out Beatle's fan Brent, I'm curious if you read my Carob Being song dedicated to 'guess who' on the 'Carob deception' thread.
M
Andrea Denner

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 05:39:29 am »

David,
OK, had to come out of my hole to give a response to this one.
I realize you were kidding, but really....I've had this argument with quite a few people.  THE BEATLES WERE MUSICALLY GIFTED!  Being a music person myself, I feel quite qualified to make a statement on this  Grin
I will elaborate if anyone else dares to challenge their musical ability.  Tongue
Andrea
editor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 05:54:12 am »

I can't wait to hear what Andrea says about this, but I must strongly agree with her.  The Beatles were incredibly gifted.

I will cite some examples:

Ringo defined modern drumming on the song "A little help from my friends," by being the first to use a "fill," in a melodic sense, on a percussion instrument.  It blew everyone's mind when he did it, and after that nothing was the same.

George Harrison played slide guitar in a totally unique way, which started a brand new sound that was imitated by everyone.  He also was the first to incorporate old-world intruments into songs, like the sitar.

Lennon wrote beautiful melodies and did some wild stuff with vocal effects, and was the first to write "transcendant" lyrics and sing them in a way that seemed to give profound meaning to them.  I don't like Lennon, but I really like his music, most of it anyway.

McCartney defined modern bass playing.  No one ever played the bass the way he did, and of all the Beatles he is the finest musician.  The melodic complexity of McCartney's songs is reminiscent of past centuries, and brings Mozart and Copin to mind.  Michelle, Hear there and Everywhere, Maybe I'm Amazed, Yesterday....absolutely amazing.

They knew how to make some amazing songs and sound, and they were beyond the cutting edge at all times.

Brent
psalm51

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 05:58:08 am »

David,
OK, had to come out of my hole to give a response to this one.
I realize you were kidding, but really....I've had this argument with quite a few people.  THE BEATLES WERE MUSICALLY GIFTED!  Being a music person myself, I feel quite qualified to make a statement on this  Grin
I will elaborate if anyone else dares to challenge their musical ability.  Tongue
Andrea
Andrea is right again! Think how many musicians the Beatles have influenced. Think how many groups imitated the Beatles. Even Musak uses their tunes (not that that is a good thing). Admit it, everyone, the Beatles were gifted musicians.  Paul still is.
editor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 06:04:45 am »

You know, when it comes to Getakys servants, the Assembly, spiritual abuse, stuff like that.....I have all the patience in the world. Wink Wink  I'm just a big lovable teddy bear, full of mercy.

But if anyone says something negative about the Beatles, all of this kind, tender facade comes crashing down and I will fight you tooth and nail.  The Beatles are great.  Perhaps the greatest musical phenomenon ever, definitely the greatest of the 20th century, and perhaps the 21st, if things keep going the way they are.

Don't dis the Beatles.
Suzie Trockman
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 06:11:33 am »

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell Brent I wrote this, but the Beatles Lip Synched all their songs!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 06:12:48 am by Suzie Trockman » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 08:17:44 pm »

O.K. O.K. gauush I repent!  Man you think the people on this board believe the Beatles are bigger than.... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
MGov

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 01:03:14 am »

It's been a hard day's night(last night) and I've been working like a dog.... to clean up my outbox.

Did you know that every PM you send gets put in your outbox?  I happened to discover that yesterday.  I think I have more PMs than posts. Everytime I deleted a PM the system updates the list; so every delete requires a minute or so to refresh the screen.  Good thing I have 'unlimited' time with our internet service provider; however high speed internet would have been wonderful.

M
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 01:05:29 am by MGov » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 01:08:18 am »

The second side of "Abbey Road" is one of the
best pieces of music ever written (in Rock music circles
I should say). The Beatles were definitely a gifted and
talented group of people. The weakest link was Ringo,
he waws no where near a Keith Moon of "The Who",
but he fit the group well. One of my favorite Beatles songs
of old is "The Night Before"-- I don't know why but I love that old tune.

--Joe
editor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 02:40:13 am »

HI Joe

Yep, you got the Abbey Road part correct.
But Ringo is way underestimated.  His technique was not on par with a Jim Keltner (who actually drummed on several Beatles songs) and definitely not on par with Steve Gad, or Bernard Purdie, who were the other really hot drummers of the time, but he was actually a far better drummer than Keith Moon.  Moon was whacko, and had a great style, but he actually held the Who back, due to his one dimensional style.

Ringo has one attribute that very few drummers have.  He was always dead on, as far as keeping time, AND he had the ability to totally groove a song.  John Bonham of Zepplin had the same gift.  to truly sample Ringo's expertise, listen to Tomorrow Never Knows, or She Said.  Very complex rythmicly, but Ringo pulls it off and makes it sound easy, as well as totally cool.  

Musically, Lennon was the weakest link, and McCartney the strongest, but the mix of the four of them was fabulous.

Again, I don't mind you guys having a favorite Beatle, but if you dis' em, I am reporting you to a moderator.

Brent
David Mauldin
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 04:05:57 am »

How can you say Lennon was the weakest link?  Common George wrote how many hits? Ringo wrote how many hits? I think John and Paul combined into something much much greater than both were as solo acts. Lennons sarcasticly pointed Dylanesc jabs at society, his nerosis and cry for help met humanity at its heart. Pauls self confidence and genuine humility seemed to bring him balance. Yes I agree that Paul may have more talent (Especially for a guy who can't read music) But I don't think the Beatles would have reached half their status without John.
editor
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 04:46:21 am »

Good points David.

Lennon/McCartney songs were exactly 14-1 compared to Harrison, but almost all of Harrison's songs were hits.

"Something" is Harrison's, even if Frank Sinatra said it was his favorite Lennon/McCartney song.

Lennon's intrumental ability was weakest.  He had a great voice, and awesome style.  He also wrote some amazing songs, but you will notice that his melodies and phrasing is far more simple than the others.  Simple can be good, however, and most people think John is the best.

Again, as long as you don't 'dis em, you can have any opinion you want!   Grin

I have prayed for a long time that McCartney would get saved.  Interestingly, on his latest tour his drummer was a guy named Abraham Laboriel, Jr.  Abe's dad, A.L. senior, was a powerhouse bass player in the LA studio scene in the 70's and early 80's.  He played with Steely Dan, Boz Skagg's, Joni Mitchell, and other really cool people.  His own band was called Koinonia, and yes, Abe, Sr. is a Christian!

I hope Abe Jr. is too, and that he rubbed off on Paul.  I would love it if McCartney did a Bob Dylan and came out with a Christian album.  He is still totally fresh vocally and musically.

Brent
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: