AssemblyBoard
June 18, 2024, 04:43:16 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Bob Dylan  (Read 36868 times)
David Mauldin
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 08:50:22 pm »

Did Arlo Guthrie Die?  I love a song Dylan did from that period, Hurricane?  Bob can really tell a story  It was about Ruben Carter, a boxer who was charged with murder on "flimsy" evidence. Funny story, I was really introduced to the Beatles/Paul McCartney by  Steve Taylor. Steve was much older and considered much more responsible in the first bros house I lived in. Well one day Perry Minamide comes home and I am listening to Paul McCartny "Pipes of Peace" Perry came down on me real hard. We had to have a number of mtgs about "rock-n-roll" music. I never listened to secular music (in front of him) again. Grin
Tony

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 11:58:24 pm »

Did Arlo Guthrie Die?  I love a song Dylan did from that period, Hurricane?  Bob can really tell a story  It was about Ruben Carter, a boxer who was charged with murder on "flimsy" evidence. Funny story, I was really introduced to the Beatles/Paul McCartney by  Steve Taylor. Steve was much older and considered much more responsible in the first bros house I lived in. Well one day Perry Minamide comes home and I am listening to Paul McCartny "Pipes of Peace" Perry came down on me real hard. We had to have a number of mtgs about "rock-n-roll" music. I never listened to

Unless I have missed the news, Arlo Guthrie is very much alive.   I know that he lives in fear of contracting Huntington's Disease, which killed his father.   I have seen Arlo three times live and have met him and talked for about 10 minutes.   I always got the impression that he and Dylan didn't get along real well???   I know that Woody Guthrie was one of Dylan's mentors in his early career.   Dylan used to sit by Guthrie's bed and run songs by him.    I heard Paul Harvey say once that Dylan's mumbling slurred singing style came from the time he spent with Woody.   Never verified that so I don't know if it's true....(But it did come from Paul Harvey) <grin>

Arlo is very entertaining in concert.   He is quite a story teller...and he does a lot of Dylan tunes.   He and Dylan were playing in the St. Louis area and the review in the newspaper said "If you wanted to see a lot of Bob Dylan's classic music, you would have had to have been at the Arlo Guthrie concert"

--Tony
summer007

Email
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 05:23:45 am »

Tony, Your right it was Woody who inspired Bob, the Family let him visit him in the hospital. Arlo can tell a story one that comes to mind is "Ridin on the City of New Orleans" . Bob as well, like "Sara" about his wife 'stayin up for days in the Chelsea Hotel writin Sara Lady of the Lowlands for You' then he wrote "Idiot Wind" about her during their divorce. Also" Positively 4th street" about his Manager could pertain to many right here on the boards, ha,ha....Summer.   p.s. my friend owned 20% of the Chelsea, so I really liked that line.
David Mauldin
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 06:24:53 am »

Bob mentions his facination with Woody in "Chronicles"  I read Woody's autobio "Bound for Glory"  few years ago.  Now that I think of it/it is a lot like "Chronicles" Woody is wandering around just hanging out with people then moving on.  Summer, I get into an argument with people all the time about who wrote "The City of New Orleans"  About 20 years ago I attended a Linda Ronstant concert, (It was O.K. because she wasn't singing rock-n-roll but doing the Nelson Riddle stuff) Anyway a guy shows up at the last minute to open the show. His name was Steve Goodman?  He was great!  (Real shocker, He died a few days later from luekemia!) Anyway he played "City of New Orleans" during the show. He mentions that he wrote the song with John Denver in a motel room one night back in the 60's. If it is true I think it is probably the best song Denver co-wrote!???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 06:53:38 am by David Mauldin » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 07:01:07 am »

David, I don't know much about the Guthries. You mentioned "Hurricane" I love Scarlett Riveria on the Violen, apparently Bob saw her in N.Y. carrying her vase and he said,'hey can you play that thing'. And they brought her in on Desire, boy can she play. I also love "Most likely you go your way and I go mine" with the Band Live. Oh well don't get me started. Peace!  Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 07:09:39 am »

O.K. I think I finally got it straight, Steve wrote the song himself but before it became popular he played it for John and John changed the lyrics, see story here!  Summer that violin makes the song!  Also on "All Along the Watchtower" (Hendricks's best known work was really Bob's) Did she play on that also?

http://www.cobo.org/goodman/uk.html
summer007

Email
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 07:39:13 am »

David, I don't think he knew her when "Watchtower" was recorded. He seems to use that as an Encore alot, along with "Rolling Stone". Did you know "Diamond and Rust" was written about Bob by Joan Beaz, she was his girlfriend prior to him marrying Sara. At any rate Hendrix's version is alot more powerful would'nt you say? Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 12:22:54 am »

No I didn't. I never really listened to the words when Hendricks played it but after listening to Bob's version I fell in love with the lyrics.  Joan likes men?   
Mark Kisla
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 03:20:43 am »

Here's my list of most underrated, awesome bands:

1.)Kinks
2.)Three Dog Night
3.)Little Feat---known by true afficionado's, but largely ignored my public
4.)Humble Pie
5.)Elvis Costello and the Attractions

All of them had hits, most people know who they are, but relatively few realize how totally awesome they are. 

I like Little Feat the best, although the Kinks made much more of a splash.  Three Dog Night have some really great songs, but people seem to have forgotten about them.

Peter Frampton would be in my top five list of guitarists on some days.....(Humble Pie)

Anyways,

Brent

Underrated Bands,

James Cotton Band
Turtles
Early David Bowie
Guess Who
James Gang

Worst Bands in the world,

Bay City Rollars
KC and the Sunshine Band

Songs that make you turn your radio off immediately,
Feelings
Anything by Joan Bipolar, oops I mean Biaz

Good music my parents liked,
Glen Miller,
In the mood
Chatanooga Choo Choo

editor
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 03:51:31 am »

Underrated Bands,

James Cotton Band
Turtles
Early David Bowie
Guess Who
James Gang

Worst Bands in the world,

Bay City Rollars
KC and the Sunshine Band

Songs that make you turn your radio off immediately,
Feelings
Anything by Joan Bipolar, oops I mean Biaz

Good music my parents liked,
Glen Miller,
In the mood
Chatanooga Choo Choo

Yep.  I agree. 

"Walk Away" by the James Gang is one of the best tunes ever.
summer007

Email
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 10:43:18 pm »

David, Funny thing is my neighbor works for her record label. I really have no interest in knowing anything else about her, I could ask, but I dont care to know. (Arlo is probibly on that label, again I dont care either way). I meant musically with Hendrix, not lyrically. "But you and I we've been through that and this is not a phase, so let us not talk falslely now, the hour is gettig late" Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 12:53:07 am »

Awsome lyrics!   A few years ago I read a book written by a number of different people who knew Thomas Merton.  Joan wrote a chapter and related her encounter with Merton back in the early 60's. In it she just happened to mention her partner and the fact that they were obvious and driving alone together in Kentucky.   Joans O.K. with me. "Shes' just like the rest, with her fog. her amphentamine and her pearls" Just kidding (These lyrics are a little too sexist!)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 03:14:35 am by David Mauldin » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2005, 06:24:25 am »

Good job David...Do you think he had her in mind when he wrote," Once upon a time you dressed so fine, threw the bums a dime in your prime then you...people call, say beware doll your bound to fall, you thought they were all kiddin you" (falling for Bobby I'm sure) Summer.
DavidM
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 10:58:58 am »

Saw my Hero tonight in O.C. Wow!  He has an ability to recite 35 stanzas of "It's Alright Ma" that is comparable to the early versions of the Wesley hymns (these had 50+) He also has reinvented himself again! Boogy Woogy Blues!  He opened with "Everybody Must Get Stoned" and closed with "Blowin in the wind"

P.S. saw one of the saints up in the front section! Won't say who!
outdeep

Email
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 06:40:57 pm »

Believe it or not, Bob Dylan came through little po-dunk Boone, NC a few years ago where I live and performed at the fairly new convocation center connected with the University http://theholmescenter.com .  Loretta and Josiah, my son, went to see him. 

Willie Nelson performed at the football stadium five years ago.

Not quite Southern California but we do get some culture from time to time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: